Sodus / Culture
Sodus Point Lighthouse
Built in 1824, the original lighthouse tower was almost destroyed during the Civil War, fell into disrepair, rebuilt in 1870, and now is open to the public as a
maritime museum and library.
Today, the Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum is operated by the Sodus Bay Historical Society and houses maritime collections depicting the history
of the Sodus Bay region. Open May-October, Tuesday-Sunday, 10 am - 5 pm. (315) 483-4936
The lighthouse has weekend activities schedule of concerts all through the summer.
Sodus Point Custom House
Formerly on the south side of Sentell Street, this building was once used as the United States Custom House and Post Office. The building was a long, narrow masonry
block, with stone trimmed front and baroque bracketed wood cornice. It was built as part of the boom that occurred from the building of the railroad in the mid-1870s.
This building is no longer standing.
Sodus Center Baptist Church
Built in 1825-26 on land given by the Pultney Estate to the First Baptist Society of Sodus, this church is now owned by the Baptist Rural Cemetery Association of Sodus
Center, Inc. It is the oldest Baptist church in Wayne County. The church is available to the community for weddings, reunions and tours. (315) 483-9791
Site of historic Shaker Community from 1826-1838 on the south shore of Sodus Bay. Alasa Farms has been owned and operated by the Strong family since 1924. Includes
Shaker dwellings, farm animals, nature trails, flower and herb gardens and pick your own apples in the fall. Open year-round by appointment. (315) 483-6321